Claim On Insurance Like A Pro!

Here's how to handle each situation


Fender Bender

In a fender-bender situation, you will need to note the details of the other party involved, then head to the nearest police station to report the accident. It's easier to call your insurer onsite to clarify the next steps and find out if you are still covered to drive the car after the accident or not.


Chances are that a tow truck will suddenly appear, quicker than you can comprehend what has happened. Certain towing companies are affiliated with certain insurers and it's important to let them know who your insurer is before allowing them to hook your car up to the tow truck. Once your car is on the truck, if you do not have insurance to cover the towing of your car, you will usually be required to pay a fee before it is released or towed. You can also opt to use your own towing company but this may not be covered by your insurer.

In an accident where your car is not drivable, you will need to take as many pictures of the incident as possible. You should get the personal and vehicle details of the other party involved before the cars are towed. Your insurer will ask for these once you report the accident – which should be done within 48 hours (7 days for some insurers). You must report the accident to the police within 24 hours.

Accident Report Details

When filing the accident report with the police, you will need details such as the makes, models and license numbers of both vehicles involved. You will also need the ID numbers and driver's license details of both parties. After you have completed the form, inclusive of a detailed description and sketch of the accident, the police officer who is assisting you will give you an accident report number which must be given to the consultant in order to settle these claims.

"Reaching a settlement is a process that can take long. Check in with your consultant regularly to follow up with the progress until it is settled"


If your car is going in for repairs, your insurer will notify you of which panel beater it will be taken to, the estimated time of completion and the excess amount that you may be liable to pay when you pick up your car once repairs have been completed. The excess amount is determined and agreed upon between you and your insurer at the start of your cover period. If you choose to decline the selected panel beater, depending on your insurer, they will cover the cost of repairs but not be able to guarantee the workmanship. At the beginning of your cover, ensure to ask your provider about their accident procedures.

Excess and Reimbursement

Depending on the agreement between you and your insurer, a number of scenarios can play out. You could be liable to pay an excess whether you are at fault or not. Alternatively, if you have caused the accident, you could be required to pay the excess. If the other party caused the accident, they will be liable to pay the excess to their insurer which will then be reimbursed to you.

Where the accident is your fault and your car is written off, you will be paid out the value of your car according to insurance minus the excess amount for which you are liable. If it was not your fault, you will be paid out and reimbursed the excess amount once the other party has been paid.

Reaching a settlement is a process that can take a long time. Simply check in with your consultant regularly to follow up with the progress until it is settled.

In the event of a fatality or serious injury, read here: Reporting a vehicle accident.

If you have not received value for money from your insurer and are looking to switch, complete the below form to get a car insurance quote that matches your vehicle and pocket.

Get a Free, No-Risk Quote

Note: this unique opportunity does not apply to motorbikes or commercial vehicles.

Just complete this secure form, and a King Price representative will call you shortly.

First Name:


Phone Number:

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms and conditions

This site is secured with 256-bit encryption